One of our favourite street foods, this often late-night meal has been ingrained in Western culture. The perfect Shawarma is tender and succulent with mesmerizing and exotic flavours. It’s almost like comfort food! Sure, you could head out to your local kebab shop to get your fix, but why not find an easy shawarma recipe you can make at home?
A delight to the senses, the traditional Shawarma is an open sandwich made with pita bread stuffed with thinly sliced meat. Shawarma can be made with marinated, well-seasoned lamb, chicken, or beef (or even goat!) that’s layered on a rotating spit and slowly roasted, cooking the meat in its own juices. The meat is then thinly sliced and stuffed into the pita pocket and topped with salad - typically tomatoes, onions, cucumber and lettuce. It’s also drizzled with avariety of sauces, like tahini, a garlicky yogurt blend, or something spicy.
Derived from the Doner Kebab out of Turkey, the Shawarma is its Middle Eastern relative and the Gyro is its Greek cousin. Both preparations are named for the spinning spit on which the meat is cooked, but in the Greek preparation, they’d throw on some tzatziki.
You don’t have to step out into the streets, stay out late, or buy a rotisserie spit to make a great shawarma though. Withour tantalizing blend of warm, aromatic Middle Eastern flavours, you can make this easy shawarma recipe at home.
A Simple Shawarma Recipe
If you make shawarma yourself, it’s actually very simple and healthy - you can control the amount of fat and sauces you’ll use.Zest & Zing’s Shawarma blend makes things even easier for you because we’ve already assembled the perfect ratio of those fragrant spices that you’ll need for this Middle Eastern dish. Our Shawarma seasoning contains coriander, roasted cumin, garlic, cardamom, allspice, white pepper, sea salt, and turmeric to give your meat that lovely golden color. It’s a much better value than purchasing all these spices individually and a little goes a long way!
You can use poultry, beef, or lamb for your shawarmas. We’ve chosen to use chicken in this particular shawarma recipe. Feel free to cook it on the grill or in the oven. If you’d like something a little leaner, you can also skip all the accoutrements and make theseTender Chicken Shawarma Skewers. The technique is the same for the meat!
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- 400g of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Filets
1 tbspZest & Zing Shawarma Blend
- 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pita Bread
- Prepare the grill or preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Pat the chicken dry and slice into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, shawarma blend, and lemon juice. Add the chicken and mix everything with your hands until the chicken is marinated evenly. If you have time, cover the bowl and marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator. Bring the chicken back to room temperature before cooking. (If you don’t have time, you can skip the marinating process.)
- Spread the chicken out on a well-oiled sheet tray. (If using the grill, slide the chicken onto skewers before placing them on the grill.)
- Place the chicken in the oven or on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes and then turn the chicken skewers over and increase the temperature to 200 degrees Celsius to get some nice roasted colour on the chicken.
- After 5 more minutes, check the chicken for doneness and begin to assemble your shawarmas.
- Warm or toast your pitas and open them up. Spread a little of the sauce before layering in the chicken. Add the salad ingredients on top and serve.
- If you like, make a little homemade tzatziki sauce, tabbouleh salad, or hummus to serve alongside your Shawarma, and you’ll feel like you’ve stepped into your favourite kebab shop!
Have you ever made Shawarma at home? Let us know!